Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mi Mi Mi Mi

I often lend good library books to my mom. I had just finished Jhumpa Lahiri’s latest book of stories and had stashed it in the diaper bag to take to her. I hadn’t even had a chance to put my bag down when she greeted me with, “I have the best book. You have to take it.” I followed her back to her bedroom where she handed me Unaccustomed Earth just as I pulled it out of my bag to give to her.

The funny thing is growing up, I remember my dad always reading a paperback thriller, but I have few memories of my mom’s reading habit apart from the unopened Book-of-the-Month package floating around the back of the car. I do remember seeing her with a book called Victory Over Japan and thinking how boring to read a book about World War II.

It wasn’t until a high school sick day spent perusing the bookshelves in the living room that I came across the same book by Ellen Gilchrist. I spent the rest of my recuperation enchanted by the Mannings. That was only the beginning of a shared affinity for authors ranging from Elizabeth Berg to Amy Tan.

More recently, my mom has introduced me to Eliza Minot’s The Brambles and A. Mannette Ansay’s Blue Water. I also discovered The Secret Life of Bees because it was on her bookshelf. I do have to be careful in my recommendations to her. To this day she thinks I lent her Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout because she identified too well with the crotchety protagonist.

By the way, Mom, I just checked out the new boook of stories by Annie Proulx. I’ll let you borrow it when I’m through.

6 comments:

mom said...

Mi Mi Mi Mi Mi1
M*, I love you.
Can't wait to read A.P.'s latest!
Mom
(Maggie said I don't need to sign texts and emails but I think it's more polite!)

Anonymous said...

My mom had stacks and stacks of newspapers and The Thorn Birds. But my sister had Slouching Towards Bethlehem, The White Album, and some book by Herman Wouk. That's how I remember them, anyway.

morningstar said...

Herman Wouk?? Was it Marjorie Morningstar? I'd also have to thank Mom for holding on to that set of Nancy Drew and Little House books. Those were also de rigueur (oui oui) sick day reads.

Rimas Kurtinaitis said...

My sick day reads consisted of the Black Stallion Revolts or my dad's college Analytical Geometry textbook.

Okay, busted. They were spent engrossed in The Mirror Never Lies and The Secret Life of Steffi Martin.

Snake Diggity said...

I've read Slouching Towards Bethlehem; couldn't identify with it.

My sick days were spent reading Calvin and Hobbes and Peanuts. Those were also my go-to books to take my mind off of aliens abducting me (we lived out in the country; that's where aliens abduct people).

The Mirror Never Lies...LOL!!!

morningstar said...

The Secret Life of Steffi Martin? That sounds like an adventure book.

When I had morning sickness, I also read Calvin and Hobbes to take my mind off the alien growing inside my belly