Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Book that Changed My Life

This is the book that made me give up meat, that made me live in Japan, that made me attractive to my husband, that made me meet his cousin, that made me read her blog, that made me write this post.

Ironically My Year of Meats inspired me to become a vegetarian in 1999. Prior to reading this book, I had been avoiding red meat for about a year. But Ruth Ozeki’s fictional account of a filmmaker commissioned to inspire Japanese housewives to cook more beef, gave me an acute “allergy” to anything with legs. I use allergy only because it was a handy way to explain my diet when I myself ended up living in Japan in 2000. Luckily tofu needed no translation.

Instructed by Mere’s blog to pay it forward, the first five people to comment on a book that changed your life will receive a personalized list of five book recommendations from me. If you blog, then I challenge you to pay it forward to your readers.

Need more inspiration? Click here to listen to TAL’s piece on the same theme.

1 comment:

E-Steph said...

The Tiny One by Eliza Minot made sense to me more than any other medium I'd tried. And the cracks of a single day had more significance, somehow.