Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sonic Youth

The air conditioner in my apartment sucks. This is June in Texas after all. So I pile the kids in the station wagon and drive down the block to Sonic. Rolling down the windows lets in a light breeze tinged with the smell of the afternoon’s tater tots. Moments later our drinks arrive. I unwrap the extra straw to keep the nine-month-old occupied, hand back the strawberry shake to my daughter, and open The Red Convertible. Louise Erdrich’s collection of short stories is part tart, part sweet, just like the cherry limeade in the cup holder. And I even manage to finish a couple of the stories before my three-year-old pokes a hole in the Styrofoam cup, and we find a use for all those extra napkins. Looking for more summer reads? Try this list.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Cherry lime slush is my standard order at Sonic!

mom said...

I really embarrassed (sp?) my 2 teenagers/toddlers when I asked for a replacement for the cup I poked a hole in. Did I get one? No, just all the extra napkins again and, I'm gonna say, a bit of attitude!
I haven't read Erdrich in a while...I'll try it.