Wednesday, July 20, 2011

True North

True North by Jim Harrison takes place in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

How apropos you might say.

Josephine and I signed up for library cards last week and after deliberating quite some time between the Clifford and Strawberry Shortcake DVD, we had only a few minutes in adult fiction where I grabbed the thickest book I saw (one-handedly since I was also carrying a very heavy, sleeping Elliott). But I digress...The thickest book happened to be True North.

In True North, the narrator fishes, ruminates on religion and philosophy (what he calls his "daffy trances"), and tries to atone for his father's (and grandfather's) beastly behavior. Set mostly in the U.P., the scenery enchants with verdant summers and stark winters. The narrator, David, moves somewhat restlessly in both seasons. As an adult, he has made the study of his family's decimation of the Michigan forest his life's work. Along the way he attracts women both fierce and soft, but he often requires no more company than his dog Carla. He worries there is something inherently wrong or damaged in this. Thus he tries to figure out how to (or if he should) forgive his parents who may have inflicted the damage.

While reading this book, I was reminded of W. D. Wetherell’s short story “The Bass, the River, and Sheila Mant.” I guess I'm charmed by the musings of awkward teenage boys and the introspective adults they become.


2 comments:

Lomagirl said...

Apropos indeed. It's fun to read about places you now live.
I just realized I never thanked you for those Pied Piper tickets- we had a great time- the show was super well done and the kids both loved it.
Thanks again. I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your new home and discovering lots of treasures- like blueberry picking farms and great, cheap ethnic restaurants. (The kids and I were up there last summer on a visit to my bro and fam.)

morningstar said...

Thanks for writing. Glad y'all... I mean you guys liked the show.
A2 has lots of great restaurants that are very veg friendly, and we've been loving the produce selection in the stores (blueberries, cherries!).
Also in love with the libraries here but that deserves a post of its own.
Missing Richland (and of course family and friends)...