Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Kindling

I've been resistant to eReaders. This semester I've been teaching an online writing class that requires hours of screen time editing and critiquing student work. When I'm done, I'd rather curl up on the couch with a blanket, a mug of cereal, and a hardcover library book. Sure, I may splatter a little milk on page 15 or lose my place when the book falls on the floor when I nod off on page 136, but each page turn tells me how close I'm getting to the end.

However, one night while using my computer, my husband downloaded a free app. Since I hadn't made it to the library for a new real book, I decided to give it a try. I went to the library's list of eBooks. As someone who regularly comes home from the library with more than five titles, I was a little put out that I could only check out three. Accustomed to browsing, I browsed. Many books that looked interesting had a waiting list. I finally found three that said "use on Kindles and free Kindle apps" and not "use on Kindle devices via USB only." Here's what I ended up with:

Aftertaste Meredith Mileti

Girls in White Dresses Jennifer Close

The Writing Circle Corinne Demas

Once I got the things to transfer from the library to my Amazon account, I clicked on the first title. The font reminded me of large print books and I thought,"uh oh." I persisted and was soon engrossed in the story of a chef who has to attend anger management classes after she discovers her husband is having an affair. Then I discovered a passage that another reader had highlighted on page 162:

"My first assignment is to buy a “Life Notebook,” in which I’m to record my assignments, the first of which is to write down five things that would make me happy and to do at least two of them before next week."

"Hmmm," I thought. One thing that would make me happy would be to buy a portable Kindle. And a new box of cereal.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I too resisted, but I do love my Kindle. That being said--I don't want a Kindle Fire or other color-touchscreen-web browsing-nonsense. Just a plain old eReader for me!