Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Middle Passage


When I lived in Oregon, one of my jobs was to visit members of the parish who lived in assisted living facilities. My favorite one to visit was in the nearby town of Mount Angel. After visiting those seniors who were a little less cheerful than their nameplates ("Dot 'n Lil Bit"), I would often make a short detour here before driving back through the hop fields to the parish office. I would stop in at the library or just sit in the parking lot, contemplatively, blessed in the view.

These days, it is not often that I experience (or even acknowledge) such moments of stillness. But finding this book helped me remember that it's necessary.

Lauren Winner's book Still is about what happens to a recent convert to Christianity when faced with a spiritual crisis. When the book opens she is no longer an enthusiastic seeker of God, but in a darker, doubt-filled, middle place. And since this middle lacks the fervent excitement of the newly converted or the quiet strength of the veteran believer, what is left? Through poetry, scripture, friends, and new rites, she tries to come to terms with a more imperfect faith. She also comes to realize that even though it requires a little more struggle (or even a lot), God is still to be found.

No comments: