Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Listen to This

Lately my daughter will lift her head from the one of five books she likes to read simultaneously and say, "Listen to this, Mama."
  
For example, this morning she read this from Fourth Grade Fairy: Gnome Invasion by Eileen Cook:  "Every time Katie came to the house he was always making notes about what she ate, what types of games she liked to play, what kind of socks she liked to wear..."

I think she was struck by this line in particular because having just finished reading Harriet the Spy ("that was satisfying") she has been doing a little spying on her own. Or it may be because she, too, is obsessed with socks.

While waiting for the kids to select library books yesterday, I flipped through a few Middle Zone books that caught my eye. So listen to this...

"All sorts of folks were making the long trip north. There were slouchers and starers. A few snoozers. Puckered here and there along the row were men stretching their limbs, hoping to catch a hint of a breeze."
- A Tangle of Knots by Lisa Graff

"Once I am aloft I am surprised how well I operate the balloon. I figure out the blast valve as I move very slowly on currents of air. It is quiet and peaceful and I wonder if I will be going to jail at the end of this."  
- my one hundred adventures by Polly Horvath

"My name is August, by the way. I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse." - Wonder by R.J. Palacio

No comments: