Friday, November 6, 2015

In Storage

Somewhere in a storage unit in Carrollton, sits a box of books. Well, 236 boxes of books, to be exact.

In one of those boxes, rests a book of essays. Well, two. One has a blue border. The other has a green border. They are pretty hardbacks with thick paper. One of the essays in one of these books is about combining the collections of two readers. I have perhaps posted about this writer. I may have first read her in one of those America's Best...Collections of essays. I'm fairly certain her first name is Elizabeth. Or Mary?

To find out, I could try one of the sources here. Although I have spent fruitless (but comforting) hours here looking for other lost titles I remember reading as a kid. But, this time, I'll just have to wait until January to discover these books again.

Meanwhile, I'm content to read Sarah Ruhl's 100 Essays I Don't Have Time to Write. 

On playwriting: "I thought my literary peak was - possibly my unproduced courtroom drama about landmasses, written in the fourth grade, in which an isthmus spoke.

On titles: "Tragedy has proper nouns..."

On interruptions: "But I confess that I had a more humble ambition - to preserve for myself, in rare private moments, some liberty of thought. Perhaps that is equally 7.

My son just typed 7 on my computer."

Now, if only I could find that blog I read once written by a Swiss?Scandinavian? mom who plans parties and makes cool things out of paper.







1 comment:

Lomagirl said...

SwissMiss?
I think I've read that essay about combining books, too. Or maybe it was de-combining cds. Hmmm.