Friday, February 3, 2017

book lust

When I moved to Washington, I started hearing a woman named Nancy Pearl talking about books on the radio. Curious, I checked out her book called More Book Lust. Already hooked by the title (and subtitle: “1,000 new reading recommendations for every mood, moment, and reason”), I dug in. Trying not to feel overwhelmed, I began by browsing.

In Dewey Deconstructed, she recommends books from the naughts (where you can find Pearl’s books) to the 900s (where you can find All the Shah’s Men or Night Train to Turkistan).

The Lewis and Clark: Adventures Extraordinaire section highlights a few fictional titles about the explorers namely I Should Be Extremely Happy in You and From Sea to Shining Sea.

Since Atonement by Ian McEwan is one of my top 10, I was happy to find other Tricky, Tricky titles like Anita Shreve’s The Last Time They Met and Connie Willis’s Passage.

You can find another good list about reading a book about books hereSome of my favorites from that list include:

84Charing Cross by Helene Hanff
Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer
End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman
Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
Ten Years in the Tub by Nick Hornby

No comments: