Friday, October 1, 2021

we know where the boys live

When #metoo appeared on the scene, my daughter confided in me that she is always conscious of her surroundings, planning her escape route, how loud she would need to scream. Although I’m glad she can articulate that awareness, I’m devastated that her fears seem grounded in something much more concrete than the nebulous stranger offering candy from a van we were warned about when I was a kid. 

Revisiting that time in Vendela Vida’s new novel We Run the Tides, I realized navigating a teen girl’s friendship might have been more harrowing than our fears of kidnapping. Eulabee and her best friend Maria Fabiola attend an all-girls’ school in the Sea Cliff neighborhood of San Fransisco. They watch The Breakfast Club, wear Laura Ashley, play Centipede, and scale the cliffs of their local beach. When the girls disagree on an incident involving a man in a white car, Eulabee finds herself on the outside of her clique. When Maria goes missing, reports of her kidnapping rock the enclave. But Eulabee suspects the whole thing is a hoax and goads the police officers interviewing her:

“Have they ever made you feel uncomfortable?”

“Everyone makes me feel uncomfortable,” I say. “I feel uncomfortable right now.”

From adults who take advantage to awkward solutions to unwanted body hair, We Run the Tides captures the discomfort, and yes, even trauma, of being a teenager.

In the final chapter, Eulabee, now almost fifty, randomly encounters Maria at a seaside resort. She reminds us that we all still carry that thirteen-year-old inside. Along with her insecurities, fabrications, and longing to grow up.

No comments: