Friday, September 30, 2022

Petrichor

 a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather

This week, we had our first rain after an unusually dry summer and with it, our first petrichor. I was August 8 years old when I came across this word in a book. And then I read it in another one and another one. (Funny how when you learn a new word, you tend to start seeing it everywhere?) Of course, I haven’t heard anyone say it, so I may be mispronouncing it.

It popped up most recently in The Machine by James Smythe. In this nod to Frankenstein, I think, a woman attempts to restore her husband’s memory after it has been removed. As the memories are restored, his violent tendencies also return.

The other appearances remain a mystery (since all of the possible contenders are on hold), but it may have also been spotted in one of these. Even if I am mistaken, they include quite pleasing moments nonetheless.

The Taste of Salt Martha Southgate

What I Carry by Jennifer Longo

Diary of a Void by Emi Yagi

Butterflies in November by Auður Ava Ólafsdóttir

No comments: