Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Take That, Read This

All it takes is a little sibling ribbing to resume. To recap my reads for the last few week...um... months - Anthony Doerr. I started About Grace while on a plane. I don't remember a word of the safety spiel or what flavor the peanut was I dropped between the seats. Instead I remember snowflakes and floods, Caribbean heat and Oedipal fear. Doerr's substantive details withstand the busiest of reading environments. It can be somewhat of a nail-biting read, but the landing is spot on. Next came Memory Wall, a book of short stories dealing with memories and loss. Disturbingly well-crafted. Then I arrived at The Shell Collector, another collection of stories. A boy loses his sight and is turned on to the fascinating textures of sea life. A wilderness hunter travels into civilization to marvel at his wife's magic. (Drunken) fishermen vie for the biggest fish in Europe. Finally, summer reads to feel good about. I should know. This book and this one are waiting on my nightstand.

No comments: