Wednesday, June 6, 2012

So This Is Summer


I asked my 6-year-old to write down her goals for this summer. Since the water in the pool is hovering around 70 degrees, we decided to skip #1 (swim) for now and work on #2 (science experiments) and #3 (sew a book). Since my knowledge of science is about equal to my love of sewing, we went to the library.

Science Play by Jill Frankel Hauser
This book says it's for ages 2-6, but I do have a 3-year-old to entertain as well. And when the only supplies required for each experiment happen to be the ones I actually have in the kitchen,on the art shelf, or in the yard, I'm willing to give it a try. Seedy Sock Walk, Worms at Work, and Gooblek are all bookmarked for next week.

Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make by Amie Plumley and Andria Lisle
This fun, polka dotted book starts with a few basic lessons (how to thread a needle, how to sew a button), but my favorite is the "oops" section which has pictures of what might go wrong when sewing and explains how to fix it. In addition, the photographs of projects done by kids make each project seem more approachable. So far we have sticky notes marking the apple pincushion and doll skirt. If the authors can lead 30 kids through one of these projects, I hope I can handle helping one. 

If not, we may have to invest in some wetsuits. Or move back to Texas.


1 comment:

mom said...

I hope the sewing project goes poorly (just kidding) and there are no wetsuits for sale in Michigan (not kidding).