Friday, October 28, 2016

I heart libraries

Looking for a new series for my third grader, I headed to the reference desk.  The librarian directed me to an online database called NoveList Plus. (note: This is a subscription service, but your library might offer it as well.) We did a search for his current favorite, The BFG, and a list of “Read-alikes” popped up in the margin. 


A search for my pre-teen resulted in these “Read-alikes”...




Once I had found books for my kids, I headed over to the shelf labeled “Lucky Day.” On it sit copies of current bestsellers and popular titles (you know, the ones with 87 people on the waiting list). If you happen to be in the library on your lucky day, as I was, you can check out anything on the shelf. The one caveat: no renewals. I checked out copies of Ann Patchett’s Commonwealth and Curtis Sittenfeld’s Eligible:A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice

Swoon.  

3 comments:

Lomagirl said...

I just read Eligible- yesterday- on my Kindle. Checked it out of the library. Good read.

morningstar said...

I'm glad I gave it a chance. I had heard some reviews on NPR when it first came out and it sounded a little silly. However, I thought she came up with some clever modern parallels. I was a little disappointed in how quickly Liz and Darcy "hooked up." Waiting for that first kiss is one of the reasons I love (re)reading Pride and Prejudice.

Lomagirl said...

That was certainly a very "modern" take on it. The quick pair up of Charlotte and 'what's his name' was a little hard to comprehend in contemporary society, though Charlotte's reflection on the problem of it is good.