Friday, June 15, 2018

Recollections


When I turned 12 or 13 my mom took me on a shopping spree that included picking out outfits at this outlet store and of course, a stop at Taylor’s bookstore. One book that made it into the bag that day, and still sits on my bookshelf, was a memoir by Jill Ker Conway. 

Conway, who would later become the first female president of Smith College, has written three memoirs. The Road from Coorain, a chronicle of a childhood spent in rural Australia, with no outlet stores in sight mind you, remains one of my favorites.

Conway died on June 1. She was 83.  This week, Fresh Air rebroadcast the interviews they’ve done with her over the years. It’s worth a listen. And her books, definitely worth a read.  

1 comment:

Beth Gomez said...

I love that you bought a memoir of the future president of Smith College when you were 12 or 13! Thanks for the rec.