Friday, October 23, 2020

Opportunity Hoarding

 Although I’m relieved to be finished with graduate school, I miss the commute to Seattle which gave me the opportunity to catch up on various podcasts. Of course, when I listen to a podcast, I want to read more about whatever topic may be covered whether it’s Dolly Parton, the history of slavery, Hallmark Christmas movies, or, in this case, white parents’ impact on public schools.  

Nice White Parents is the latest from Serial. Producer Chana Joffe-Walt put together this list of books she read while researching the series. For quick reference, I’ve also listed them below.

Turns out I also miss having access to the university library which might carry these titles. Instead, I’ve pestered my local library to add them to its collection. Maybe you’ll fare better at yours.

In the meantime, take a listen. 

White Kids by Margaret A. Hagerman

Despite the Best Intentions by Amanda E. Lewis and John B. Diamond

The Lost Education of Horace Tate by Vanessa Siddle Walker

Mothers of Massive Resistance by Elizabeth Gillespie McRae

Why Busing Failed by Matthew F. Delmont

Ghosts in the Schoolyard by Eve L. Ewing

Cutting School by Noliwe M. Rooks

No comments: